Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bladder stones  (Read 11349 times)
pugalicious
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

Being a grandma makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »

Well you may have to stop that. It really gets tricky when you have these bladder issues. I think one has to monitor really closely. I know, yuck!

Nicole and Rudy, Kado, and Georgie, too!!!

My eternal Angels: Dixie, Mingo, Sammy, Jaspar and now Chico, too. You are never forgotten and close at my heart. My list grows longer.

Yiddish Proverb: Everyone is kneaded from the same dough but not everyone is cooked in the same oven. 'so true'
Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »

yeah, I agree...........you may have to do something different and not free feed..........that isn't a teesny weensy problem....actually...that is a HUGE problem..........
      I could not ever do that here...........

Penny, Sophia and Merry
 Sadly missing my sweet girls, Annie, Tess, Maggie, Mimsy, Rose, Elly, Libby , and my heart....Grace.

A rich person is not one who has the most but who needs the least.
(author unknown)
Lauraspugs
Pug Stories Extremist

~waiting for summer~

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »

It was absolutely golly when I was time feeding.  You know how you all would have a horrible time free feeding?  It's the opposite for me.  All pugs will have to change food, not just Mariah.  It's just not an option here to time feed. 

So, what is the difference between crystals and stones?

Laura:   Kahlua, Zoe, Abby, Mariah, and Jasmine

A special loving kiss to our Angels:  Sasha, Samantha, Bessie, Mimi, and my baby girl Brandi

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret
pugalicious
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »

The problem with changing eveyone's food is that you just might trigger crystals or stones for the others while you are helping Mariah. These bladder issues are really tricky, Laura. It isn't something that will just be cured overnight. So many work on it all the time. Not trying to argue with you but trying to give you the reality of what is ahead for you. Maybe you will be lucky and they take them out and she will never have it again. But that is usually wishful thinking. I am not real sure the difference but usually the crystals come first and if that is not addressed it works into stones. Usually the stones are made up of the same structure of the crystals. Just like humans. Struvite or calcium oxilate or something like that. It has been awhile since I have had a pug that I have had to deal with that. I wish you the best of luck.

My eternal Angels: Dixie, Mingo, Sammy, Jaspar and now Chico, too. You are never forgotten and close at my heart. My list grows longer.

Yiddish Proverb: Everyone is kneaded from the same dough but not everyone is cooked in the same oven. 'so true'
Tiptonsmom
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »

If I free fed my pugs they would either weigh 30 pounds each or Shelby would weigh 50 and Tipton would weigh 10.  LOL

Sounds as if you are between a stone and a hard place Laura. Haha.

Hopefully Mariah will be feeling better soon!
Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »

the crystals bunch up together and form a stone.

and yes, if you switch them all the the prescription food, you are just going to create even more headaches....this is a tough situation to be in and it really sucks.
 I am sorry you are dealing with all of this.....I just don't see how you can continue to free feed but perhaps you will be able to pull it off. I will keep my fingers crossed for you Laura.

Penny, Sophia and Merry
 Sadly missing my sweet girls, Annie, Tess, Maggie, Mimsy, Rose, Elly, Libby , and my heart....Grace.

(author unknown)
Lauraspugs
Pug Stories Extremist

~waiting for summer~

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 09:00:20 AM »

We'll just have to figure out something that works with all pugs here.  Understandable that I might cause problems with the other pugs so will have to do something where just Mariah eats the special food.  They usually only eat at night as we're getting ready for bed.  Will just have to stand and make sure Mariah eats her food only and then pick the bowls up when we sleep.  We'll have to work it out some way.

Ok, so the first signs of stones starting are crystals in their urine?  Do you use some type of test strips for this to use at home?   Am I also understanding right that the goal is to have an almost perfect PH balance when you test the urine?

Dropped her off this morning for surgery.  And now the waiting begins for that phone call to say that she's out of surgery and okay.
Won't be picking her up until later this evening so she can stay on the IV longer and they can see that she urinates properly.
Ugghh...HATE this part!!

A special loving kiss to our Angels:  Sasha, Samantha, Bessie, Mimi, and my baby girl Brandi

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret
Joanne
Pug Stories Extremist

Brutus and Dora, the Pug loves of my LIFE!

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »

I will keep her in my thoughts today...let us know when you get the call!

Dora and Brutus - Forever in My Heart.
pugalicious
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »

I also hate this part. I will be thinking of her and you. Maybe you can feed her in a crate or behind a baby gate? Just a thought.

marci
Pug Stories Extremist

love those pugs!

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »

Hope all goes well with surgery & she is home with you soon.

BTW I also free feed, not a problem at our house either.

Marci
mom/guardian to Trixie, a b&w "all American"
                            Mimi, fawn diva pug
                            Lucky, fawn rescue lover boy
                            3 kitties Max, Rocky & Figaro
                            & Yertle the turtle
Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »

here is an informative article for you Laura-it may help explain things.....
but yes,idealy the urnine should stay at about 6.5-7. You can use the Ph test strips to check on a regular basis. ... when the pH levels rise, it can mean infection/crystals brewing...you can't see the crystals on the test strip but on a microscope slide you can...the struvite ones are very jagged and sharp and hurt, these ones are almost always present when there is any type of infection. The calcium oxolate ones are more rounded and I think more caused by diets...and many times the dogs don't show any signs until they actually have stones in their bladder........here is some info:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_4/features/Detecting-Urinary-Stones-Dogs_16215-1.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:13:05 PM by Amy » Logged

Penny, Sophia and Merry

(author unknown)
Lauraspugs
Pug Stories Extremist

~waiting for summer~

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

Thanks Amy!!   So much info in that article.  I'm going to try to print it out.

-Phil Pastoret
heal1079
Pug Stories New Pup

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:28 AM »

Is there any nature cure available for this?
shaynapug
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

Female

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 06:21:49 AM »

Laura, if you'll email me, I'll send you the protocol that one of the pug hospice people uses!  She's amazing!

If you want to try....look up using dmannose, methionine, and apple cider vinegar too.....That's in part of the protocol....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: