Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelter Software!! Arrrrrggghhhh  (Read 10029 times)
SissysDad
Mike
Administrator
Pug Stories Extremist

Sissy and Puggy Sue always in my heart.

« on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

Well, I had so hoped I could find something and then surprise all of you when it is put up.  Since we started, Mary and I discussed setting up a place where all Pug rescues could upload their adoptable Pugs and Pug mixes.  After all, Pug Stories has risen pretty high in the search engines rankings and the chances someone finds us to look for a Pug over Pet Finders is pretty good.  When people want a Pug, they type Pug before they think to type pet right?

Fizz thinks I have been building him a soft cushy bed with all of the hair I have been pulling out.  You would think I am shedding more then a Pug just trying to find something that would work for us!!

But I am not looking for just something that Pug Rescues could log into and add their info.  I have found one or two programs that would help a rescue organize their Pugs (If there is really a way to organize a Pug) and I would like something a rescue can use for themselves and when they update that, they can then upload those updates to the Pug Stories "Rescue to Home" area I want to add.  Some software lets them enter, microchip info, shot data, vet visits, costs, intake and outake date, picture, DOB, etc.  I would like them to be able to upload and from that, the software would select DOB, picture, name, history, intake date, and only that pertaining to getting them adopted.

I am probably talking gibberish, but I want something we can use and all rescues can find a good use for it as well.  If anyone has any ideas, please don't keep it a secret!!!  I am downloading Rescue Connection as I was directed to it and I will post updates and if it looks like it may work, I may have a few people do some Beta testing for us.

Now, not to leave out our breeders we have in Pug Stories.  I know that our breeders have never advertised and I would like to think our breeders (I call them "ours" as if we have the exclusive on them!  icon_biggrin ) do not need to advertise.  But I would like to add an area that educates people in what to look for in a good breeder and then add links to our breeders websites.  The breeders we have, I think everyone would say they are truly among the best and have been a huge part of our family and have helped us educate people that ask about breeding.

This is going to be the year that we add many of the things we talked about.  Enough talk.  Now we get down to doing it!!!

Thoughts??
Questions?? 
Comments??
Complaints?? 

(Okay, so we have appointed Alex the cat as our complaint department.... good luck!!)

icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Mike (SissysDad)

I don't need an angel on my Christmas tree, I already have several in Heaven looking down on me.

See Fizz at http://www.dogster.com/?43613

PugAddict
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

You can call me Dolly!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »

Mike,
I just want to say that I think this is an amazing and fantastic idea you have come up with to help ALL Pug Rescue Organizations to help get their Pugs, and Pug Mixes adopted!!  All of us know how over run all of the Rescues are with Pugs, and how it seems like they can never get these precious pugs adopted fast enough, before twice as many seem to be coming in.   I sincerely believe that once this program gets up and running, and with all the information it will provide with each pug, and Rescue, it will make it so much easier for not only the potential adopters, but also for the Rescues.   I can see  the adoptions going alot smoother, and being expedited on both ends, due to alot more details being provided up front.  icon_biggrin  I can hardly wait to see Rescue Connection, but now will find it more challenging than ever  NOT to adopt any additional pugs!! 

BTW Mike,  You are ONE AWESOME DUDE!!!!!  Banana Dance Banana Dance Banana Dance

Phil, Lil, Keiko, Ariel, Elektra,Sampson & Paris the Peke !!
Never forgotten..At Rainbow Bridge: Samson, Delilah, Georgie, Tuffy, Libby, Goofy Lucy, and Earl !! You are all still in our hearts and soul.
Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »

WOW!
 yup! I TOTALLY second every thing that Robin said!
 This will be AWESOME! I can 't wait to check it out! And thanks so much for all your hard work Mike! This will be a wonderful way to help pugs!

Penny, Sophia and Merry
 Sadly missing my sweet girls, Annie, Tess, Maggie, Mimsy, Rose, Elly, Libby , and my heart....Grace.

A rich person is not one who has the most but who needs the least.
(author unknown)
GottaLuvPugs
Pug Stories Extremist

Winston, Sophie, Oliver & Clara

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »

Dear Mr. Mike:

I love to head up the complaint department, I hope everyone will use it!  I want to know if I can have a thread for people to give me ideas on how to Rid The World of pugs love the pugs all up. 

Your in Hating Pugs and now
Chief Executive Officer of the Complaint Department
AlEx ThE DeMon CaT

P.S.  Thanks for all your hard work, Mike.  I know everyone here appreciates all you do for the site.

Winston, Sophie, Oliver & Clara

A Pug Has the Heart & Soul of a Dog Many Times It's Size
SissysDad
Mike
Administrator
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »

Okay, so it looks like the shelter software will be so great and we can give Pug rescues a login so they can download the software to their computer (Windows based) and it can help them keep track for themselves.  And then they can upload the information which will select such things like name, breed, age, any medical required, picture, rescue contact information and comments.  The rest of the information such as vaccine dates, vet bills, donations brought in for that Pug, etc. does not get uploaded, but stays in the rescues computer for their information and recordkeeping.  If at a later date, a rescue no longer wants to participate, they still have the software to use for themselves, but do not have to login to PS server to upload anything.

However, it is built and based on a Microsoft Windows Server and we use Linux because they are more secure.  So I bought the source code for the program and I now have some people building our end on Linux.  Each rescue can log in and use their logo and build a page they like.  The central search in Pug Stories will allow people to select a Pug based on a little info and a thumbnail and it takes them to that page.  All of the database can also be sent to PetFinders, so they will get posted on PetFinders as well and again, will be directed to the rescues adoption page inside of Pug Stories.  It will be set up for only Pugs and Pug Mixes.  With so many out there, a person could be looking for a Pug and have to sift through all of the others before finding one.  This way, they will see nothing but Pugs and Pug mixes and won't have to filter dobermans, boxers, beagles, etc.

Anyway, it looks like a nice program from a Windows computer.  Now, I just have to get all of the ASP files transfered to PHP,

Will keep you updated.

Mike (SissysDad)

I don't need an angel on my Christmas tree, I already have several in Heaven looking down on me.

Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »

Wow Mike!
 this is impressive! I can't wait to check it out!!
 Thanks for doing all of this! Hopefully even more puggies can be adopted this way!

Penny, Sophia and Merry
 Sadly missing my sweet girls, Annie, Tess, Maggie, Mimsy, Rose, Elly, Libby , and my heart....Grace.

(author unknown)
CamKrist
Pug Stories New Pup

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:26:55 AM »

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.

Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://prime-essay.com/
pugalicious
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

Being a grandma makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »

Oh my gosh. I was reading this and didn't look at the date of Mike's post. I saw Robin's post and had to rub my eyes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing since I have heard hide nor hair of her for so long. I have tried to email her and tried to look up her ph. number and here she was. Then before I got too excited I went up and looked at the date. Oh, my bubble was burst. 2009. Well dang. I will just go now and be sad.

Nicole and Rudy, Kado, and Georgie, too!!!

My eternal Angels: Dixie, Mingo, Sammy, Jaspar and now Chico, too. You are never forgotten and close at my heart. My list grows longer.

Yiddish Proverb: Everyone is kneaded from the same dough but not everyone is cooked in the same oven. 'so true'
Amy
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »

lol! Nic.
  I was so excited about this too. I remember when Mike first posted it.
     Bummer.

Penny, Sophia and Merry

(author unknown)
pugalicious
Global Moderator
Pug Stories Extremist

Being a grandma makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

I know!!! Ack!

Nicole and Rudy, Kado, and Georgie, too!!!

My eternal Angels: Dixie, Mingo, Sammy, Jaspar and now Chico, too. You are never forgotten and close at my heart. My list grows longer.

Yiddish Proverb: Everyone is kneaded from the same dough but not everyone is cooked in the same oven. 'so true'
SissysDad
Mike
Administrator
Pug Stories Extremist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

Way back I was working on this and everyone started using Petfinder instead.  I didn't want to drop a lot of money in something that no one would have used.  I was going to have it also pull Pugs from Petfinder.  The original plan was to have an API that everyone can place on their rescue site and load adoptable Pugs and it would show on every site and Pug Stories the same way Petfinders did.  Click on a state and only Pugs from that state or Pugs from a rescue that can transport to that state would show up.  That was the key.  Petfinders will not show a rescue that can transport and the perfect Pug could have been right there, but people would not know they could get it home.  We wanted to have a button that a rescue could click that says "Transportation Available" and then, they can either click on number of miles or states that they would transport too.  How many times have Pugs been in Oklahoma and have traveled to Wisconsin, or Maine, or even Washington?

And I too wonder where our Robin is.  We have not heard from her in so long.  When Janelle (Pug Puzzle) invited me to Pug Zoners, my first night was Robiins last night before going in the hospital.  She was the first one after I signed up to welcome me there. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:58:09 PM by SissysDad » Logged

Mike (SissysDad)

carol
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »

I also read this but did notice the date..My heart is still sad that Robin hasn't just left us..She really was a big part of our group..As other were.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: